Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Playground or WARground?

The day began and Camron, Jae, and I braved the school once again. We fumbled to get out of the house and continue our early routine, but we made it, got a great open parking spot, and beat the crazy car chaos that begins to form the later it gets. Today was proving to be a much better, much less emotional day as Jaeana and Camron raced to the Playground with big cheesy smiles. I admit I had a grin of my own hoping that we were on the path to "we got this school thing!" YES! 

First thing Jaeana proudly did was run to her line and place her backpack and lunch box down. This was it...off to the playground. She ran excitedly towards the swing area where there were 4 open swings. The other kids must have either had the same great idea at the same moment or saw her and remembered they wanted to swing. Boooooo! So standing back I waited and watched for today's response. Ok, ok, she was handling it well. She stood and stared at the boy who obviously saw her coming and waited for him to move, but of course he didn't. He stared back at her waiting for her to move out of his swing path, but of course she wasn't budging either. Thus the War begins...

Jaeana finally gave in, decided to keep her smile and a swing opened up for her. (It's amazing how when you choose to look past that which is in front of you, and put a smile on your face, things open up!) She was swinging happily working up her speed and height when this girl walks over to the side of her and begins saying something. I couldn't hear or make it out and I was hoping she wasn't telling her to move. Ah she was telling her to move and Jaeana sweetly gets off and then stands there realizing she got jipped. The girl had been pushing her friends on the swings next to the one Jae was on. I guess she decided she had the swing before so that meant Jaeana should get off. Jae isn't yet accustomed to the ways of school kids yet. She isn't a ruthless, rude kid, trying to steal swings from happy children. She is patient, and sweet. Still she kept a smile on her face and before she knew it another 2 swings opened up for her. (God is the God of the double blessings) She had a choice of which swing she wanted and she took a little time to decide. I caught a glimpse of her small grin, as she was realizing this staying happy thing was working for her. I told her she had X amount of minutes before the bell rang and asked her what she was supposed to do next. She happily answered, "get off and go to my line." My big girl, now you are getting it! She enjoyed all of her swinging time and kept this cute smile on her face, waving to me here and there and smiling bigger at me so I would know she was proud of her swinging accomplishments for the day. 

As I waited, I looked around the entire playground. People are so interesting. Kids are, well they are crazy, but cute, some of them. Lol! I watched as the girls were doing gymnastics moves on the standing bars (I don't know what they are called). You had the boys havin' it out on the basketball courts (which Camron was well engulfed in). Then there were the kids imaginatively playing around the ball-less tether ball poles. I don't know what they were doing, but they seemed to be having fun. I kept glancing back at Jae and she still had her smile. The bell rang. I looked at her waiting to see if she heard it and remembered what to do. It took her a moment, but then she realized what was going on and slowed down her swinging and hopped off the swing, proudly running to the line. She was doing it all on her own. I was a proud, very happy Mommy today! I gave her a kiss, told her to have a great day, and watched her walk away into the building. The jungle of kids had died down. Everyone was neatly in place. No more swing stealing kids, no more crying kids, no more booty shorts wearing moms, no more balls bouncing, kids snatching, screams, yells, loudness. The day was beginning. School was starting. The WAR, for now, was on hold until the next battle of the grounds...on the "PLAYGROUND". 


No comments:

Post a Comment