Friday, September 24, 2010

You may get offended, but I don't really care...

Every day I read things and see people living lives that look just like everyone else in this world. It's the epidemic of the "in moderation justification" crowd. 

"Oh I only drink sometimes."
"I only have the occasional glass of wine."
"I only smoke pot sometimes."
"I only smoke Hooka sometimes."
"When I _______ I feel the Holy Spirit and pray and stuff."
"I'm gay and I love Jesus."
"I LOVE horror movies." followed by... "I have insomnia!"
"Tattoos, Tattoos, Tattoos, and more..."
"Piercing, Piercing, lips, eyes, chest, head..."
"Liquor + friends + smoking = good times....and we all love Jesus."


I look around at a people who do everything the world does. You listen to the same music, drink the same drinks, wear the same things that let you define or express yourself....ugh....what separates you from the world? Now I'm not speaking from a hypocritical stand point as if I am on some higher level and free of the things I do. It's just I find myself always asking....where does the line draw? I mean everyone's definition of that line is so completely different. We base the line off of what we justify as ok in our lives not the Word of God - the Bible. I mean REALLY we do this!!! We can go far into it and dissect every area of life from Food to Movies to Music to Drinks to Lifestyle. "Defiling the temple" could be abusing what you eat and being very unhealthily obese. Or it could be abusing alcohol and drugs. Or it could be cutting, or tattooing, or piercing, or any number of things really. It could be eating too much Chocolate Cake everyday which is not good for your body but we do it. Where does the line draw between the way God intends for us to be and the way everyone and everything else says to be? Did you make the line? Do you have the power to make the line? 

1Corinthians 6:9-11 Amplified Version
6:9  Do you not know that the unrighteous {and} the wrongdoers will not inherit {or} have any share in the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived (misled): neither the impure {and} immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor those who participate in homosexuality,
6:10  Nor cheats (swindlers and thieves), nor greedy graspers, nor drunkards, nor foulmouthed revilers {and} slanderers, nor extortioners {and} robbers will inherit {or} have any share in the kingdom of God.
6:11  And such some of you were [once]. But you were washed clean (purified by a complete atonement for sin and made free from the guilt of sin), and you were consecrated (set apart, hallowed), and you were justified [pronounced righteous, by trusting] in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the [Holy] Spirit of our God.


The basis for our obligation to Christ could not be stated any clearer. He gives three reasons:
1. Verses 9-11 show what put us into indebtedness to make redemption necessary.
2. Verse 19 says that our body is now the temple of the Holy Spirit.
3. Verse 20 states that, because of redemption, we now belong to the One who redeemed us, and we must glorify Him in body and spirit.
Concerning our bodies being "the temple of the Holy Spirit" it is good to reflect on the Old Testament symbolism that God abode in the Holy of Holies within the Temple. Paul reminds us that God now lives in us (John 14:7, 23), and we are obligated to live with the utmost circumspection so that He in no way is defiled by our conduct. So it is with Christ: We are obligated to consider His demands in every area of life all the time and under every circumstance. What an honor!


Do we really uphold it as an honor though? I mean it seems like we would much rather please ourselves, our needs, which is glorifying ourselves and putting ourselves before the One who we need. When our life is looked at from an outside perspective what is it that is really seen? Could someone tell from a distance that that person is a Christian? When you see someone standing across the street how can you tell what kind of person they are? What about when someone has a casual conversation with you? Can they tell that you love God, that you are a follower of all that represents Jesus, in that conversation? What about when you are talking about your life to people around you be it at work or school or wherever you spend your time? What do you look and sound like? Does it represent Jesus? 

You may be thinking yes, you may be thinking sometimes, or even no. You may even say that how can you look and sound like that all the time? Again I ask you WHERE IS THE LINE?

In the end if it doesn't match up with the Word, than we have crossed it. None of us, not one of us is perfect or even worthy in the smallest sense to "make it to heaven" or "measure up to any standard" in the bible. We all fall short...all of us! (Romans 3:23) WE NEED JESUS!!! HE is the Way, HE is the TRUTH, HE is the LIFE, HE is the ONLY DOOR....JESUS! Our whole purpose in life should be to look like Him. He is the role model we should be working towards "growing up to be." 

Look, I said I'm not perfect...guess what....I watch Harry Potter movies. I don't let my kids but I watch it. I have issues with anger. I constantly have to push past myself, and I do fail at times, to not react in a negative way. I DO NOT drink or smoke or tattoo or have any other piercing besides 1 in each ear and my nose. I listen only to Worship Music, I read only Christian books outside of the Bible, I try to eat healthy, I do indulge in yum foods, although not so much right now with my allergy issues. My life is one of NEVER GIVING UP ON BEING WHO GOD HAS CALLED ME TO BE. I will admit when and where I am wrong and if I don't see things about myself I ask God to show me or help me. I know I need Him. I want to live a life that shows that...it's my desire to represent Christ while here on this earth. When you see me I want you to see what a person who LOVES God and LIVES FOR HIM Only, looks like. I have imperfections but I am willing to change. It's not an easy journey and that's what makes the path narrow....many give up and turn back. I refuse to turn back. I want to sometimes but really what am I going back to....like in The Matrix....once you know the truth even if not knowing was simpler, why would you put back on the ignorance cap and re-enter the Matrix? I mean what kind of life is that? Sure in one sense life seems easier when you are not concerned about pleasing anyone or following anyone's rules. Isn't that the real American Dream --- Do Whatever The Heck You Want To Because You Can? Lol! THAT IS OUR FLESH...THAT IS SATAN...THAT IS WHY SATAN IS HERE AND CAST DOWN FROM HEAVEN. I don't want to adopt Satan's views.....didn't you hear? IN THE END HE LOSES...Yeah Satan loses to God.....so if victory is yours on God's side...isn't the push and hard work and effort put in worth it?

I guess you have to decide. I'm sure I have pissed some people off....oh well...I just get intolerant of what I see when I know that doing those things DO NOT PLEASE GOD. Yes, God I would give up Harry Potter movies for You...what do You want of me, what do You ask of me? How can I represent You BEST? Show me and guide me that way and whatever the cost, whatever the pain, whatever I must suffer and go through and endure...I will do it for You!!! YOU MAKE IT WORTH IT ALL!!!!! Now I need Your help to accomplish this, but You promised me You would help me and that I wasn't alone and that You are with me wherever I go so I trust in Your promises and walk with You.

(I'm being facetious with the Harry Potter thing but so serious if it's something God says has also got to go....just to clarify...I was using it as an example that I have asked myself about. I will not go see Twilight or watch True Blood or Vampire stuff because the whole point is seducing you. Vampires are seducing creatures that trap you and defeat you...but some of you like that draw, that tempting naughty trap thinking you can escape it but more being so consumed by it you can't distinguish truth from lie. But then Harry Potter is witchcraft so you can see my example making sense as a question and a desire to not be hypocritical. That Line...where is it?)



No comments:

Post a Comment